Some recent members have voiced their concern regarding dogs off-leash on the Silver Lake Trails, indicating it is against the law. According to Brian Borden, Brookhaven Parks and Recreation Director, Section 5-5 of the Municipal Code for the City of Brookhaven notes:
It shall be unlawful for the owner of an animal to allow it to run at large unattended on or about the streets, rights-of-way, and highways of the City of Brookhaven; in any City of Brookhaven park, except in city parks that are specifically designated by signage and fencing as off-leash areas; unattended on or about the common property of any apartment complex or condominium community; or on the property of another person without permission of the owner of that property.
As a private property, the Silver Lake Civic Association (SLCA) does not have a policy requiring pets to be leashed.
- Walk your aggressive, timid, or poorly behaved dog during low traffic periods, usually at at dusk or dawn.
- If you see a member with their pet on a leash, put yours on a leash as you pass them.
- If a member looks concerned about the presence of a dog, say hello and inquire with them directly.
- If a member asks you to leash your dog, respect their request without debate; this is a shared space.
- If a fellow member is ever rude or threatens you, let SLCA know their name and household.